My life

Me, in a nut shell

Monday, September 05, 2005

My newest addiction

So the FOX network has done it again! I am really liking their new show Prison Break. It is friggin awesome. A clean version of HBO's Oz (which was my fav. show when I had cable). It is my newest obsession besides the Urban Rebounder.

I am glad y'all like the new site. I picked VanGogh's Starry Night because it is my favorite impressionistic painting of all time. I had first seen a picture in a book of my grandpa's when I was a real little girl. I read his bio and even though I thought he was a weirdo personally, I loved his work. So, when I think of art, I think VanGogh. I just love him and especially this painting. I actually have those sun shades with Starry Night on them.

Okie- dokie Suley! Here is your meme...I wonder, just why might you be scared? Mwahaha!

1. Number of Books you have owned. When I was a young and lived with my mother, I had an awesome room. I had bookshelves lining the walls and also built into my headboard. I remember counting and in my itty bitty room, I had over 300 books. For a later post, I'll tell you the sad story about what happened that causes me not to value physical objects and what happened to my awesome collection...that is, of course, if you want to know.

.2. Last book I bought. Since the afore mentioned incident(s) I no longer purchase books. Again if asked I might indulge you...

3. Last book I completed. ...Been a while I must confess. I haven't been reading like I used to. I used to read 2-3 books a week. I go through phases. When the cool weather comes round again, it'll be "snuggle up in bed with a book" time. But sorry, I can not remember the last book I read.

4. Five books that mean a lot to me.



This happens to be (probably) my all time favorite book ever. It is the coming of age story of Liza O'Hara and how she and her family must come to terms with her father dying. A real tear jerker. (I just read the review that some pinhead wrote about it and disagree whole heartedly!) A definite must-read!

I can guess what you are thinking; They made us read that one... yeah that's right fools! I am about to admit what nobody ever in the history of schooling would admit...That I liked the books they made us read in school. In fact, I always finished the book the night it was given to the class, so that I knew what the next chapter would hold. I just love the sociology that William Golding presents. It is fascinating to me to think of little boys going wild and getting crazy and not having any boundaries. It rings true to me. I really love this story. A definite must re-read!

I just love, love, love this book. I haven't read it for a number of years, but I think I will since this is truly a great book. I never liked short stories as a girl, hell I had read Steven King's IT by the time I was 10 and finished it within a week after going to school full time, but for some reason, Shel got me interested. I think I identified with his style and wanted to write like him. All of my favorite books and writers capture an essence that I would like to capture in my own writing...Sound stupid?

I know that it was on my list on my other blog, but this is truly brilliant writing and deserves to be on this list. Again, Koontz is awesome for me because he brings so much depth to his characters and breathes life into them, and to top it off, he writes an amazing plot too! I implore you all to keep a copy yourself.

I was never really a sci fi lover but this story was always a great read. I have read this one time and time again. In fact all of the books on this list have been read at least 3 times and some more. I'm more inclined to pick up a good book that I have read numerous times than read a new book...is that crazy?

There are alot more than five and I really think that these books also deserve recognition; Lord Of The Rings trilogy. I would like to say that the first time I read these books was LONG before the movies. My grandpa has a gorgeous library and these were his picks for me from his collection during the 2 weeks stay with him at 9 years old. I swear I told him that these would make an awesome movie someday. I will say that the recent movies did do the great books justice. Tolkien couldn't have hoped for better. Lewis Carrol's Alice In Wonderland. Also read the summer of Tolkien. Truly a classic and a great read. There are so many others, but it is getting late and I am getting lazy.

5. What are you currently reading? Right now, sitting on the toilet tank is Dean Koontz's Hideaway. I am only 35 pages in and can't tell if it is good or not. He rarely dissapoints though...

6. Who are the bloggers you are passing this on to? Well I am not one who likes to point fingers, but those picked do not have to participate. I know that my initial feelings are always anxiety when I get tagged, so do it if you want. If not, I'll only cry in private, deal?

CMHL...I'm interested to know if you even have time for books?

XniriX...extremely curious...

Sangrocito I imagine you reading books in foreign languages...

Ok kiddies, enough fun for one night! There's only so much one can handle!

2 Comments:

  • At Tue Sep 06, 09:56:00 AM, Blogger Lurid said…

    Good answers. I like Lord of the Flies a lot too. All those books are usually assigned because they're classics and a lot of people have found a lot of value in them, but they get such a bad rap because high school kids just hate to do work :) which is a bummer.

    Did you read any of the rest of the books in the Wrinke in Time series?

     
  • At Tue Sep 06, 11:32:00 AM, Blogger suleyman said…

    You seemed like the horror novel type. Perhaps I was wrong.

    No H.P. Lovecraft? Awww man.

    "Lord of The Flies" pretty much sums up my childhood. Fashioning spears out of garden stakes, killing animals for sport and food, setting fires, etc.

    -Suley

     

Post a Comment

<< Home